Monday, November 15, 2010

Huntington Beach... A home away from Home


Hello there my Love:) I hope all is good & well on ur end :) Well, the past week, my sisters, Lani & Bobo & I were able to head down south & welcome our 2nd cousin, Sister Dinah Rogers home from her Edinburgh, Scotland mission!!!! We were set a couple months ago to drive & spend the wkend there. But we were planning Audreys bday & we noticed how much time away we would lose & money!!! So this was totally a last minute trip there to welcome her with open arms @ the LAX airport:)
We left about 8:45am that Wednesday, & came home first flight Friday morning. When we got there, Aunty Lani picked us up & we were thrilled & anxious to see her & everyone else!!! It was still a disbelief that we were actually there. The last time Lani, Tash &I were there, it was her farewell program along with her sisters wedding. A year & a half ago!!! My that came around sooo fast!!!! So they were planning a small potluck with close family. So, when Lani & Lika headed to Costco, we were told to make "Welcome Home" posters for Dinah. Little that we knew, Aunty Sela was making super cute fancy signs with her cricut machine. Had I have known that, believe me, I woulda saved the embarrassment for myself & not even do it :) LOL!!! Then Soon after we gave up on our signs, they came back with shopping & we started to help cook. I offered to make my Mom's chocolate cheesecake. So I made two. Lika made this yummy sushi kind of dish that had raw salmon that was super yummy :) I can't wait to make it for my Hubby! He's sucha good eater & is a dare devil when it comes to food :) So anyways, after we were done cookin & prepping we headed to the LAX Airport to meet Dinah there!!!
I rode with Sarah & her 2 adorable kiddies! Sarah & Tasha are the same age & these 2 are the ones that just "click." Finally after being in the car for a lil' too long, we arrived to our destination! We met up with Aunty Sela & her beautiful girls Lolohea & Anuanu. They were there w their kids, & Anuanu's hubby (which is my second cousin on my dad's side. Our Grandpas are brothers) Together we all waited anxiously for our Sister to walk up the walkway so we can greet her w open arms :)
Finally after waiting for a little while, out she comes. Still the tiny frame beautiful Dinah we all remember!!!! It was so emotional as we all looked on as her immediate family greeted her with pure tears of joy & long tight hugs!!! Totally emotional & yet so heartfelt!!! We each had a turn to greet & hug her led by a photo taken there after. Still in shock of Dinah being back so fast, I observed from the back as she was greeting & hugging everyone. She def had a glow that day. A glow that'll probably never leave her. Maybe it was a Missionary glow? Or was it cuz she was happy to be home? Maybe both... Either way she was definitely glowing:)
We headed home & were literally stuck in gridlock traffic!!!!! It was CRAZY!!!!! It was actually a blessing in disguise, because I got the opportunity to talk w Sarah & I got to know her on a personal level which I enjoyed! It was a pleasure!!!
When we arrived to Lani's house, some of the other family were there to greet Dinah & stay for the potluck, I was starving' like marvin' so I couldn't wait to eat!!! After we ate, we all mingled with the girls & kids. Talked, laughed & took some pictures. That was a fun night :) It's always good to see my Mom's Family. Then Dinah hooked her camera to the TV & we seen lots of beautiful pictures of Scotland!!!! And other interesting sights on her mission. So that was cool to witness.
As the night drew near, my sisters & I were up talking with Lani & Dinah & just reminiscing about the good 'ol days when we used to live with them way back then :) Those were some unforgettable fun times!!! Being there also made me miss my Mom even more... That's all who was missing was her. She's the link to all of this. We finally called it a night after Dinah led us in a prayer before bed. Off to bed we went & my sisters & I couldn't wait to KO:)
As Friday came to me earlier than I thought, we were waken by the smell of fresh fried bacon:) Yum my favorite!!! As we got dressed for the day, we made it downstairs to eat some hearty breakfast made by Sarah's hubby, Ernie. Thnx Ernie again for the food :) After breakfast we were all ready to run some errands for their family reunion that was going to happen that weekend. After running their errands to the city & heading to Aunty Sela's house for their "committee meeting," we were all starvin' since we hadn't ate since breakfast. By the time we left Sela's house, it was nightfall. I was looking forward to eating some steak fries from Betos. But my Aunty Lani made plans of her own :) She opted us to go have BJ's as a family :) so that was super sweet & totally unecessary, but it was her treat since she said it was our last night there.
Dinner was fun. We chatted & we did what we do best (or I can speak for myself at least) & grubbed!!! I ordered the crusted Parmesan chicken which is my ultimate fave!!! It was funny cuz Dinah & I ordered the same thing. We were totally full by the time we can even say "pizookie." Of course my Aunt pushed us to order some, so we eventually partnered up & shared one upon a pair. Lani & Bobo shared one, Dinah & I shared the choc chip one. And Amy & Aunty Lani shared one as well. We ended the night as our only gentlemen, Uncle Terry, taking group pictures of us in front of the restaraunt.
We came home & my smart self wanted to pull an all nighter. I figure I can sleep on the plane. So Sarah was craving the cake, so I made it for her again. While I was making the cake, we were all watching " Grown Ups" which was a good laugh. Then I was thinking we should have a movie night & watch movies all night. I was super excited to spend time w the girls & have fun bonding night! Yeah, that didn't happen. I think we were all tired from the car ride to & from LA since we were in a car majority of the day. So one by one, each girl was falling asleep like dead flies on a hot summer day. I couldn't blame them, I was tired too, but I refuse to oversleep & miss our 6:30am flight!!!
We watched maybe 3 movies then it was time to get ready to head out! I watched "When in Rome" & it was hecka cute!!!!! I wanna buy the DVD. The other action movie I watched, it was such a great movie as well. Great twists & turns that were unpredictable. Bobo loved it too. We had a blast! Well, I did atleast!!!
Then before you know it, it was time to head back home :( Luckily we weren't late, so we made our flight. We said our Goodbyes at the airport. It was Lani & Dinah who dropped us off.
We were truly greatful to spend that little short time with our wonderful family! Although it wasn't as long as we liked, but we got to see Sister Rogers!! So, that was our basis of its appeal! I hope that I do better at planning for the upcoming year. I want to atleast visit down south twice to three times a year!!! And then just build up from there ya know?!
Well, I am forever greatful that my Aunty Lani. She reminds me of my Mom so much! Just being around her makes me FEEL like I'm near her. She's truly a blessing in my life.

Welcome Home Sister Dinah Rogers!!! WE LOVE YOU!!!!




2 comments:

  1. this is sooooo beautiful lome :) thats so nice you were able to hang out with your moms family, btw i know exactly how you feel when you said"being around your aunty lani makes you feel closer to your mom" thats just like me and my dads brothers best feeling ever <3 love ya beautiful mama!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thnx Miss. Anonymous ;0) I know... if it were up to me I'd go down south every wkend!!! But that's not real ;( But even if I can go whenever I get the chance Ima take it run :)
    It's crazy when you're with your parent's family you just feel sooo CLOSE to them.... It sure is one of the BEST feelings ever!!! Love ya more hope to see sooner than later xoxo

    ReplyDelete